We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
With soccer being the most popular sport in the United States and Florida being home to several professional teams, there’s no shortage of high-level competition. But which university is best for you? We’ve compiled a list of the best colleges for soccer in Florida:
University of Florida
- The University of Florida is home to one of the country’s most storied collegiate sports programs.
- It has been ranked as one of the best public universities by the U.S News & World Report.
- It was recently ranked #2 overall among all colleges and universities in the United States by Forbes magazine (2018).
- The university fields teams in both football and men’s soccer, but it was actually founded as an agricultural school before being renamed as a college in 1905 following its first year of operation under its current name – the University of Florida (UF).
Florida State University
- Florida State University (known as FSU) is a national doctoral, research-intensive university located on a 2,000-acre (8.1 km2) campus in Tallahassee, Florida.
- The university is organized into 16 separate colleges and more than 110 centers, facilities, labs, and institutes that offer more than 360 undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, and professional degree programs.
- The school has an excellent soccer reputation and a long history of producing great players.
- The university’s soccer program is a part of its athletics department, including football, baseball, and men’s basketball teams.
- FSU has been around since 1899, and it has won nine national championships in men’s soccer.
- The school’s main sports facility is Doak Campbell Stadium, where the Seminoles play home games during the spring semester.
- The soccer team plays its home games at Florida State Soccer Field.
University of South Florida
- The University of South Florida (USF) is a public research university in Tampa, Florida, United States.
- The USF men’s and women’s soccer team has won three NCAA national championships, and the men’s team has made eight consecutive appearances in the NCAA tournament.
- The USF men’s soccer program is also known for its success in postseason play, having appeared in 16 of the last 20 College Cup tournaments, including seven straight years from 2004-2009.
- The USF women’s team won two national championships in 2004 and 2006.
- The USF women’s program has also been successful in postseason play, making six straight College Cup appearances from 2002-2006 and advancing to the final four twice (2007 and 2008).
University of Central Florida
- UCF is Florida’s largest university and the only one in the state to have an NCAA Division I soccer team.
- It was ranked #3 in the nation for its soccer program when it came out in 2017.
- Their head coach is Johnny Dawkins, who has coached many great soccer players over his career, including Landon Donovan and Mia Hamm.
- He has also served as an assistant coach for many teams throughout his career.
- The UF men’s soccer program won their conference championship in 2017 and 2018, and they currently hold a Top 25 ranking on NSCAA’s preseason poll this year.
University of North Florida
- The University of North Florida is a public university in Jacksonville, Florida, United States. It is part of the State University System of Florida.
- The university was founded in 1972 as the University of North Florida at Jacksonville and opened its doors on January 2, 1973.
- The university started as a branch campus of Florida State University.
- After being granted full autonomy by its parent institution, UNF has grown into one of Florida’s leading research institutions, with an enrollment exceeding 11,000 students from some 50 countries worldwide.
- It has been ranked as one of the top 25 colleges for its athletic programs.
- UNF has also enjoyed success on the international level, with its men’s soccer team winning gold at the 1999 Pan American Games.
- Stetson University is a private university in DeLand, Florida. It was founded in 1889 and had an enrollment of over 4,000 students.
- The school has more than 200 acres of land and a stadium with a capacity of 5,000 people.
- Stetson University also offers several different programs that can help players improve their skills while they are still young. Programs include:
College Soccer Camps
These week-long camps focus on specific areas such as technical skill development or tactical training.
This option allows players to play for club teams that compete against other national clubs on weekends. This allows players to play against other players at the same level as them and compete against other clubs from across the country.
- Jacksonville University is a private university located in Jacksonville, Florida. It was founded in 1934 and has become one of the most successful universities in the state of Florida, with a student population of more than 20,000.
- The university offers many different sports, including football and basketball. However, it is best known for its soccer program, which has produced many talented players over the years.
- The Jacksonville University soccer team has won 9 conference championships, 21 Sunshine State Conference titles, and 2 national titles.
- The Jacksonville University soccer program was ranked #1 in the nation for the past six years by Sporting News.
Make sure to look into what school is right for you.
When you are considering the best college for soccer in Florida, it’s important to make sure that the school is right for you. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Are you comfortable with the area? It can be difficult to get around if you live far away from campus or don’t have family nearby. If this is an issue, a smaller school might better suit your needs.
- Does this curriculum fit your academic goals? While some schools offer more rigorous courses than others do, there should still be something available that fits within your schedule and interests.
- Do teachers care about their students? If not, then maybe looking elsewhere isn’t a great idea after all (or maybe this one’s just fine!)
College soccer is a great way to get into the sport, learn about it, and meet new people. It’s also a great way to get your foot in the door with recruiters who might want to see what kind of player you are before they offer you a scholarship or tryout opportunity. You can find out more information on all these schools by visiting their websites and reading up on their programs! Thanks for reading!